Tuesday, December 7, 2010

One month

It's been just over a month since Matt died.
While our lives look like normal patterns are coming back, moments of horror still come over us when we remember what has happened.  Maybe ten times today while I was in an all day intense 2011 strategy meeting at work. Standing at the whiteboard.  More when there's a minute's quiet.
I can't imagine what its like for Jenny or the Graces.

Mostly tonight I'm really, really sad for Riley. 
He doesn't even get the chance to show Matt how exciting and wonderful life is.  If anyone could, it would be rags, he's so obviously discovering it and thriving in it, every day.
My brothers aren't uncles yet.  They just aren't at a place in their lives when they care about Riley at all.  Maybe (hopefully?) Tye will - he will meet Riley soon.

Matt, we miss you.

2 comments:

Louise Chapman said...

I remember talking to a counselor once after my mom died and she had mentioned how you would continue to feel intense moments of grief. YOu know, a certain word, or seeing a person who looked like your loved one, or had a laugh like them etc. It is so hard. So, so hard. I'm sorry. I also remember how many times I forgot that I couldn't just tell my mom something and that was hard. That did fade after about 6 months. Sometimes I talk to her, is that weird? Makes me feel better! In response, I can `hear' what she would've said to me.

As for your brothers, I'm thinking it was Tye that really took a liking to Koen when he was a wee babe so I'm sure he will be super uncle to Riley!

Melinda said...

Tessa and Simon,
I am so deeply sorry for your loss. I am just finding out through your blog about Matt. Our prayers are for peace for your entire family and Jenny.
Much love,
Melinda and Sam
Muster through with the over abundance of pure joy of that beautiful baby of yours.