Sunday, January 30, 2011

! Sleep

Struggling to post now that we're back in the usual.  It's been ridiculously busy, but we enjoyed a wonderful day at home today and it was great to have some time with just us.  On top of that, it was blue skies!  
Photo dump in no particular order...

Off to bed tonight.  Poor kid was at the receiving end of a Tiger pounce... see the scratches?  Fortunately, she's still his favorite buddy.

 

I always see mom + dad eat their fruit like this


Hmmm...


Maddie's all grown up. 
Look at his teeth!  All six came in at once in November.
Sometimes we go on walks at night and he's just such a goof, just leaning back checking out my face, sticking his fingers in my mouth and giggling the whole way.  Photo may be more for me than others, to remember these lovely moments.  We love our little boy!
Wearing his rugby jersey and waterproof pants from nana... a real rugger outfit.  I think we have a prop on our hands, or a pretty serious 8man.  Crazy to think he'll be walking soon.  Si's already trying to get him to kick with both feet.
Crawling trying to find his balls (all stuffed up his back, he couldn't see them, haha)
I swear nana, I've looked everywhere.






















Riley absolutely adores his nana.  She is amazing with him.  He has a special place for her.  Only problem is that I get jealous as he is always on his best when they are around - naps for three hours etc.  What are their secrets?
Another two hour nap in nana's stroller.  His hat is covering his face (I checked, he could breathe)
Dinner Friday night with Si's good friend James + Sarah.  Doesn't their little boy look just like James (the ears)?  He's only 7 months but already wearing 18 month clothes.  Si and James played rugby together for years,  I think their boys are going to keep up the tradition.  I just hope Riles is on River's team!  Whereas Riles is festive, River is ripped.
His latest sniff-sniff-sniff expression.  I used to do this noise when he'd point at the giraffe sticker (seriously, what does a giraffe say?) and its his expression-of-the-week.



Love our baby blue
While I gardened today, Tenge and Riles supervised with the occasional Tiger attack.  I took out a bunch of compost - so satisfying - and Riles helped me to sort worms.  Tasty.

 Compost collapse


At the park with dad.  He loves the slide!
... and the see-saw
action picture!
Swings


Finally, to the title.  We had being doing okay for sleeping until Nov - putting him down awake without fuss, he usually slept to 5am, it was working okay.  But as our lives disrupted, so did his sleep, and I've been nursing him to bed for the last while, including multiple times a night.  I was too tired, and with work overloading me and all the emotional stuff, it was too much.  Since we came back, we decided to no longer nurse to sleep... and one of us at least was very unhappy about it.  We're not even leaving him to cry it out (we cuddle him) but still have 3-6 hrs of screaming a night.  Si and I trade off and we're still exhausted - how does he do it?  His naps are so short he's not really gaining it back.  The last two days have seen progress - just a few minutes of fussing each time. I'd get optimistic but that the one thing I've learned is that as soon as you think you have it figured out, it changes.  Any advice? 

Off to calgary tomorrow for work.  A sunny -33'C (for the saffas, yes, there's a minus there).  Wow. 

PS - I just saw there aren't any pics with Si.  My bad!  He's always holding the camera.  Will rectify soon.
PPS - We think about you all the time Matt.

No comments: