Started this post a long time ago, just got to posting it now.... July coming next.
Saturday we did Relay for Life in Richmond, for which our team of four couples raised $7400. Huge thanks and congratulations to Jennifer for organizing and being such a good cheerleader. Thank you to those who supported us too.
I've done cancer fundraisers before and somehow they always felt distance, a vague smile to the survivors, a feel-good. This time it was so much closer to home, I had a taste of the horrible absence - of all the people who didn't make it to have that lap, and how many of the people were there not as feel-good fundraisers, but as a way of acknowledging the unchangeable impact cancer has had on the life of someone near and near them.
Erica, Stu, Alex and Sam - you were on our mind all night. Erica, I taught Simon to knit in your honour, and we walked around the track together all night knitting away. In highschool I could never have hoped to be this cool.
Sunday brought with it some sleep, father's day, and what would have been Matt's birthday. I hate those words... would have been. Matt, in your honour the Graces and I went to Deep Cove, your favorite place in the mainland, and walked around talking of you and checking out all the placed you'd looked to buy. I couldn't help but constantly think of what could have been, and how different it was from last time we were there together. It was a positive day of happy memories, but the tragedy lies in the fact they are memories.
You are missed, Matt.
I wrote the above meaning to come back to it. Now looking back, the rest of June was a bit of a blur ... some photos below.
Babysitting Peyton ... the boys had a good day! This is what double-sinks are for.
(Bathroom reno almost complete ... its now at the the everything-works, but we won't have towel racks or mouldings done for the next year stage). Huge improvement over our pink tub + toilet.
My parents are back, Riles getting to know them again.
The tractor was a huge hit. This kid loves trucks and tractors. His first word? tac-ta. Recently he's added the "R"s in a very gutteral way (think crazy low german spitting). It's now "TRRRR-TRRR". His favorite word.
.
Sunday, July 24, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)








No comments:
Post a Comment