Sunday, January 22, 2012

Itchy. Changes.

Bad news.  I’ve been itchy especially at night for a while, and have been struggling to sleep through it.  On Friday I called my midwife to see at what stage it moves from normal pregnancy itching, to something I should worry about.  Fortunately she took it seriously and we met at the hospital where they ran a bunch of tests.  This ended up being a very lucky day for me since frequently doctors ignore these symptoms (itching is common, condition is rare).  Got the results and my liver is in overdrive, so my bile and enzyme levels in my blood are through the roof… actually the highest the hospital had seen. 
It’s called Obstetric Cholestasis

Best news is that baby is moving well and no problem in the fetal non-stress test.
Good news is that we caught it while I’m still 34 weeks… if unchecked the risk to the baby increases as pregnancy continues. 
Concern is that my levels are really high. 
Good news is that I’m on drugs to bring the levels down, and that we are far enough along to deliver without major concerns for baby’s health. 
Change is that I’m now on intense monitoring, blood tests, non-stress test etc. 
Bad news is that because my levels are so high things could change wi baby in a matter of hours, especially as the pregnancy progresses.  
Hardest part now is that knowing that since things can change so quickly, kick-counting is really the most critical.  I am paranoid that I’ll get busy and forget to notice if baby is moving.  Hard.
Tired part is that I'm already sleepless due to itching.  Now I'm constantly prodding my belly too. 
Change is that the baby will be delivered early… by 37 weeks if not earlier.
Change is that instead of thinking of natural, even home birth, where my biggest concern was delivering on a highway, I am now fully open to C-section, being strapped to a fetal monitor… anything. 
Good news is that they are taking it seriously.  I’m on drugs to reduce bile buildup in the blood.  The hospital referred me to another specialist to figure out if we deal wi this more aggressively.  They’ve done all kinds of bloodwork to understand my levels better since they are out of line even for this (? Hep A from SAfrica trip?).  I’m in good hands.

I’ve now moved into wrapup mode at work. 

I am happy that I trusted myself enough to feel that something was different/wrong and page the midwives. 
I am lucky that they took me seriously.
I am thankful to Si for being so wonderful.  And to Riles for being such a gorgeous handful!

I just hope for a healthy baby.

We’ll keep you posted.

No comments: